Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Wordless Wednesday - History


This week's Wordless Wednesday's theme is History.
Thanks to Deb for hosting this blog hop - why don't you stop by and join in.



The first time I ever saw a Disney attraction in person was at the 1964 New York World's Fair. (I wouldn't get to Disneyland until July, 1968 and Walt Disney World until December, 1971.) I was very excited as I watched Walt Disney show the progress of the four attractions that were being prepared for the Fair each Sunday night on TV. They were ...

The State of Illinios (Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln)



The Ford Pavillion (which a part of would come to Disneyland as the dinosaur diorama on the train trip around the park)



Pepsi/UNICEF presented It's A Small World



And the one which became my favorite at the Fair and remains a must-do each time I visit Disney World, Progressland presented by General Electric ... which after a brief stay in Disneyland is today known as the Carousel of Progress in the Magic Kingdom at WDW.



Here are some photos of today's version ... taken just a few weeks ago ...





And of course, Grandma is still resident ace ...




   

16 comments:

  1. GREAT photos! I love these history pics- and Carousel of Progress is the perfect way to represent this theme! Thanks for sharing, Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Mark! These are fantastic! You really have some great Disney history here. Thanks for giving us a peek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These four are special since they were the first Disney attractions I had ever actually experienced.

      Delete
  3. Wow, how amazing to have seen these attractions in person at the fair! Great pictures all around, but especially of CoP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CoP - or GE Progressland as it was called at the fair was one of the most popular. The line was often more than 2 hours long. Can you imagine anyone waiting 2 hours to get onto CoP these days? Of course it was more than the theater - you actually got to witness an atomic explosion!

      Delete
  4. Great pictures Mark! I loved the '64 World's Fair! Seeing pictures of CoP brings back so many wonderful memories! Thanks for sharing and for joining in the DWW Blog Hop fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of my best memories of the fair revolve around the CoP (pun intended)! :-)

      Delete
  5. Awesome pics, I would have loved to have been there at the Worlds Fair.. And Carousel Of Progress is still one of my top 5 attractions - Love seeing those old pics

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! The Carousel of Progress is one of my favorites. It's always a must do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are fantastic!! I can't ever convince anyone to ride CoP with me, but I have newbies next month, so I can probably persuade them. And now I'm singing the song!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happily my whole crew are CoP fans! I always bring first timers there. Are you singing the original/current song (There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow) or the old song (Now is The Time)? :-)

      Delete
  8. I loved the World's Fair and am happy that I had many opportunities to visit.

    ReplyDelete